I get asked this question a lot "How do I grow my hair out faster?" It seems to be a theme among my customers who have either cut their hair and want their long hair back or those who are experiencing hair loss. Hair loss with women is tricky. Hormones play a big part in how thick or thing our hair is. Stress and health issues can also affect how our hair behaves. One thing to keep in mind is whatever happens to you, also happens to your hair!
Your first order of business should be to see your doctor and get a physical. It's important to find out if a medical condition (like thyroid dysfunction) is the reason for your hair loss.
Next, let's talk about what you can do to promote hair growth! I do have a few suggestions. :)
1) Essential Oils. There was a study done several years ago using the following essential oils: thyme (2 drops), lavender (3 drops), rosemary (3 drops), and cedarwood (2 drops), mixed with the following carrier oils: 3ml jojoba and 20ml of grapeseed. The trial showed significant difference between those who used the essential oils and the control group who only used the carrier oils alone. Since the study was done, more essentials have been added to the list, such as peppermint and lemongrass. So test a few, see how you like the smells and go from there! And don't forget that both groups massaged these oils nightly into their scalp so you definitely have to stick with it!
2) Scalp Massage. Speaking of scalp massage... it has shown to be a key ingredient to hair growth. Even if you massage your scalp dry, it will improve circulation and stimulate the hair follicles. You can use your fingers or a scalp massage tool, which I highly recommend. (A scalp massager will save your fingernails too!) You can even try using oils a couple days a week but massage daily, even on dry hair.
3) How to Massage. You can use a hair brush with firm but flexible bristles, a detangle brush, or scalp massagers. I recommend having two, one for dry massage and one you keep in your shower for wet massage. Try to massage your scalp 3 minutes a day. Do it when you wake up in bed. Massage when you're watching TV at night. Use it in the shower when you shampoo. Those 3 minutes will go by fast!
3) Clarify Your Scalp. Cleaning your hair and scalp of the buildup from everyday products and environmental garbage is a good way to help hair grow. You don't want clogged hair pores! Once every week or two you try washing your hair with a clarifying shampoo or you can also use a DIY apple cider vinegar wash (16oz plastic bottle, 3 to 4 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar, and 2 cups of water.) And don't worry, you won't smell!
4) Carrier Oils. The carrier oil you choose to use with your essential oils is important because some of them can clog your pores. Coconut oil, for example, is a wonderful oil but it's rated a 4 out of 5 on the comedogenic scale so it can and probably will clog your pores. It's good for hair ends but not for the scalp. Use a carrier oil that is rated 0 or 1 such as jojoba, argan, grapeseed, and the list goes on.
5) Vitamins. Don't forget your vitamins! B vitamins are known to promote hair growth, specifically Biotin, but why stop there? Vitamin D is also a must for promoting healthy hair and we are all Vitamin D deprived. Vitamins A and E are also on the list along with Iron, Zinc, and let's not forget about Protein! A well balanced diet with the right about of nutrients is also key. Remember, what happens to you, happens to your hair. So take care of yourself!
6) Medicine. If you don't have the patience for natural methods, you can always try different medicines that have shown to help hair grow. Talk to your doctor about which could be right for you!
I know what you're thinking... how did the people in that trial sleep with oil on their hair and not ruin their sheets? Good question! I imagine they destroyed their sheets, pillowcases, and maybe even their relationships! But not to worry, we have developed the world's FIRST and ONLY oil-proof nightcap called the Big-O nightcap! (Tee hee) It's oil and waterproof on the outside and slightly absorbent on the inside to catch any drips. Sleep and not spill a drop. Plus it's soft and comfortable enough to wear all night then wake up with soft, silky hair!
In addition to the nightcap, we also sell a couple awesome hairbrushes that will do double duty detangling and massaging your scalp. And let's not forget about our wonderful silicone scalp massagers! Check them all out here and choose the products that suits your needs: https://www.mrbigcurlingirons.com/collections/accessories-for-long-hair
In conclusion... my main message is don't give up hope. Gair regrowth is possible with these natural methods. You only need to be patient, diligent, and positive, then watch your hair get thicker each month!
Remember, size really DOES matter!